"I tell you folks, a major crowd has gathered at this GTG Blog posting page for the big race...
The sleek all powerful ELECTRIC can opener VS the old, its too much work, MANUAL can opener.
... Annnnnd the race is on!"
Maria opens the utility draw next to the kitchen sink.
Jack is moving his Juicer out of the way!
Maria takes out her manual can opener!
"What a race, what a race I tell ya!"
Maria takes the can of corn and puts her manual can opener on the edge.
Jack puts his electric can opener on the counter above him!
Maria is turning her manual can opener.
"Maria has the lead!"
Maria puts the lid from the can into the recycling bin.
Maria smiles! Jack Loses!
"Oooh what a race! Manual wins!"
- Did you ever RECYCLE an electric can opener?
- A broken Manual can opener has a higher chance of being recycled.
- Think of all the resources consumed and energy produced to make electric can openers.
- Then there is the electric bill, no matter how small the consumption, electrical energy adds up!
For example: If your electric can opener uses 175 watts for only one hour per month that will cost .38 per year on the electric bill for people living in the areas of America's highest charging utilities. Now take this cost and all the non-renewable fuels such as oil, gas, and coal that are used to make that electricity. Then add that up for everyone in America buying and using an electric can opener.
The number is not very little at all for the REAL COST to us and for fuel consumed.
Now wait a minute... don't stop reading this post yet!
Yes, there are a few more facts to realize:
Well your answer might be an eye-opener...
- We don't bring an electric can opener with us when camping out with any Scout Troop or a family reunion at the beach or park. Have you ever see an electric can opener used at a Tailgate party before the big game?
No, we all bring the manual can opener.
- When a big storm hits and knocks out the utilities for three days, we are opening cans with the manual can opener.
There are only two reasons for using an electric can opener:
1.) When a person has difficulties because of arthritis or another challenge.
2.) When we are opening several cans for a large dinner party and because of reason number one, this will be difficult.
There is also one big long-term health reason not to buy products in cans:
1.) BPA is in cans. We just might be better off buying our food products in glass jars or waxed lined cardboard containers. (For more info on BPAs, visit our EnergyHotWire page)
RECYCLE THE ELECTRIC CAN OPENER, USE THE MANUAL and save money, save energy, save Earth!
Bill Lauto, GTG